Photo: City of Guthrie, Credit Jarrett George Photography and Artistic Imaging
OML and the OU Institute for Quality Communities (IQC) partner to offer the annual Quality Communities Grant Program. This grant will assist recipients with up to 50% of the funding needed for projects selected by the IQC.
DEQ Environmental Education Grants- Deadline December 15, 2019
Grant Writing Tips
The Nonprofit Times published these helpful grant writing tips. Print them off and read them before you start your next grant application.
· Do your homework. Pay close attention to the guidelines, policies, and procedures. Don't try to "fit" your organization or program into the guidelines simply to obtain funding.
· Keep it simple. Be concise in all correspondence, particularly the cover letter. Make it a maximum of three pages, and summarize the organization, the purpose of the request, and other pertinent information.
· Be Relevant. Demonstrate how organization or project benefits the company -- do not approach simply on the basis of being a customer of the company.
· Be accountable. Think scope and impact -- and be honest. Quantify, and tie the project to specific targets and dates. Provide a cost-benefit analysis.
· Writing matters. Funders receive a significant number of requests. Make it an easy read for them. Proposals should be organized, well-written, and grammatically correct.
· Proof read. Are all required items addressed and space limits met? Other common errors: sent to right person/address but wrong company name, or a recipient no longer with the company.
· Be patient. Do not call the day after the proposal is submitted. Due to the significant volume of requests, particularly for corporate foundations, it will require time to manage.
· Trust the application process. Going outside the application process to get a proposal considered will eventually come back to haunt you.
· Take each year as if it is the first. Past funding is no guarantee of future support.
· Be a friend to the environment. Send one copy unless told otherwise. No three-ring binders. Send videotapes only if necessary.